National PrepareAthon! Day is April 30
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has designated April 30 as National PrepareAthon! Day.
On that Saturday FEMA encourages individuals and communities across the U.S. to take action to prepare for emergencies.
Part of America’s PrepareAthon!, it’s a national day of action held twice a year to help increase understanding of what disasters could happen in your community, what to do to be safe and mitigate damage, and take action to increase your preparedness.
BluSky enthusiastically shares this information because practicing preparedness before a disaster occurs is something we emphasize every day. Being prepared for disasters and emergencies is a shared responsibility – it takes all of us working together. FEMA suggests many easy ways to take action and be prepared for emergencies:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts
- Develop and test emergency communication plans
- Assemble or update emergency supplies
- Learn about local hazards and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class
- Collect and safeguard critical documents
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage (mitigation)
- Hold a scenario-based continuity of operations tabletop exercise for your organization
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources
Part of being prepared is knowing who to call when disaster strikes. At BluSky, we bring order and assurance to chaotic situations. You can rest assured that we will respond quickly and bring your home or business back to its pre-loss condition if you find yourself faced with an emergency situation. Learn about BluSky’s emergency response.